Sunday, July 24, 2011

Ugly Phone Call

I got an ugly phone call today. For several years, my mother hadn't been in the best of health. She hadn't been taking care of herself - the better part of twenty years. Increasingly, over the last several years, it continued to get worse. My mother and I have had some rocky moments here and there. Not seeing eye to eye - and specifics aren't really necessary for this blogs purpose. But I will say, hurt feelings were felt all around. 


So, the phone call. I had given my folks a cell phone on my plan so that they wouldn't be without one when they made trips into town and what not. My step-father, called me today. From the hospital wanting to know the number of their cell phone as he had never had cause to need to know it before. For several days my mom had been in the hospital with an infection of some sort. It wasn't all around clear why she was there. Her liver functions tests weren't the greatest with accompanying acitis,  and pneumonia was tossed around in discussion as well. With my background in nursing I spoke with the doctor and I wasn't told anything that gave me warm fuzzys. 


I got on the phone with my brother and told him that mom was in the hospital. Knowing that he was in Germany, there wasn't much he could do. But should things get worse, at least he had a heads up. 


They drained a lot of accumulating fluid out of my moms abdomen. Several liters at least. Pounds of fluid gone and my mom started to feel better as the day wore on. She was able to breathe better, but who wouldn't with all that fluid taken off and her lungs able to expand better. Or as best as they can with underlying COPD and what not. 


I can't help but to be worried though. 

No comments:

Post a Comment