Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Ariyana is growing up!

Tonight Ariyana is moving to her big girl crib in her room! I already know I'll be checking on her many times, but it's gotta happen sometime! Today, to commemorate her big move to her room, she got her ears pierced. It looks adorable. And she really turning into our beautiful princess.

I never really considered how controversial ear piercing can be for infant. In Arfan's culture, it's very common; more common than not to have ears pierced during infancy. I have no regrets getting her ears done, and I know how to well care for the piercing. The risk for infection is the same as when she would be older, only at this age, she can't mess with the piercing, allowing for it to heal. I don't really feel like I have to defend myself for having her ears pierced now. Much argument can be made for male circumcision - and as a nurse who assisted in many newborn circs, which are completely unnecessary, I find far more harm in a circ than in an ear piercing... I don't feel that I caused any harm to her, that she wouldn't have felt later on anyway -- only, she won't remember it at this age. 

No comments:

Post a Comment